A Twist on Grapes
Often you have grapes at home. They are a healthy fruit that is packed with heart-protective and cancer-fighting polyphenols and have vitamin K, A, C, and B6. You may use green or red grapes as a snack while watching television, in your lunch sack, as a side to your breakfast, or as a decoration on your table in the kitchen. Grapes are traditionally eaten at room temperature or cold, but did you know that you can cook them?
Throwing your grapes in a pan and giving some heat adds an extra flavor. In fact, the taste is uniquely a concentrated sweet-tart flavor.
We all know that wine comes from all kinds of grapes from around the world. This may be what they are most known for today. The process of winemaking is becoming more known and many people venture into winemaking at home.
Another popular grape product made with red grapes.
- 4 lbs of cleaned Concord or red grapes that you crush in a food processor
- 7 cups of sugar
- 1 package dry pectin
- Put your grapes with 1 cup of water in a heavy pot and boil 10 minutes.
- Strain juice from pulp mixture using either cheesecloth or a jelly strainer (should yield 5 cups juice).
- Transfer that juice to the heavy pot and mix in 1 package dry pectin.
- Spoon into sterilized canning jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
- Seal correctly and use a water bath to extend the life of the canning jar.
You may have experience preserving or canning when you made other variates of jelly. Use those skills.
Make a Sweet-and-Sour Sauce
Sauté seedless red grapes in a dry frypan for 30 seconds. Remove from heat and add a tablespoon of olive oil and continue cooking until the grapes blister. Deglaze them with wine vinegar and serve over a bitter salad.
Considering to use grapes in other ways will open up your inner foodie skills and give some additional choices to serve up. Seek out more recipes when you are ready!
Latest posts by Cindy Stevens (see all)
- Motivation through Willpower - May 26, 2023
- Benefits of Working Out - May 19, 2023
- Helpful Cleaning Hacks - May 12, 2023
- The Mind Diet - May 5, 2023
- Bulk Buying and Eating - April 28, 2023