Chicken and Black Bean Burrito Salad in a Mason Jar
This mason jar salad has all of the delicious ingredients you would wish for in a burrito, and like a burrito, it comes in it’s own perfectly portable package. Show up to work with this smart lunch and you’ll be the envy of your office. It gets a healthy dose of fiber from jicama and beans and is a great way to use leftover rotisserie chicken.
Even though this salad is brimming with colorful ingredients, and it is as lovely to look at as it is to eat, the dressing is the real star. This recipe calls for fresh lime juice, cilantro, a whole seeded jalapeño, garlic, and cilantro…and it will knock your socks off. Not because it’s spicy, but because it tastes so fresh. Blending the jalapeño and lime seems to make it much less spicy than you’d expect, but if it has too much heat for you, this dressing can be made with any sweet green pepper.
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp. + ½ cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro, divided use
- 1 clove garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium jalapeno, seeds and veins removed, coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups canned black beans
- 4 oz. shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup chopped jicama
- ½ cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 cups chopped romaine lettuce
Place lime juice, 2 Tbsp. cilantro, garlic, and jalapeno in a blender; cover. Blend until smooth.
Slowly add oil, blending continuously, until well mixed. Evenly divide dressing between 4 one-quart Mason jars. Set aside.
Evenly layer beans, chicken, jicama, radishes, onion, tomatoes, cheese, lettuce, and remaining ½ cup cilantro on top of dressing in jars.
Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Shake before serving.
Latest posts by Cindy Stevens (see all)
- Motivation through Willpower - May 26, 2023
- Benefits of Working Out - May 19, 2023
- Helpful Cleaning Hacks - May 12, 2023
- The Mind Diet - May 5, 2023
- Bulk Buying and Eating - April 28, 2023