Baked “Cheesy” Cauliflower
This dairy-free version of mac and cheese has nutritional yeast and cauliflower to thank for its healthy comfort food status. With 5 grams of fiber, this dish fills you up on just 131 calories per serving.
- 1 large head of cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1 tsp (5 ml) olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups (360 ml) unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) tapioca starch
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) nutritional yeast
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 425°F.
In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 5 mins or until translucent.
Microwave almond milk for 1 minute or heat on the stove top in a separate pot until warm. Mix tapioca starch with almond milk, stirring until well-combined.
Reduce the heat of the pot with onions to low and add the almond milk-tapioca mixture. Continue stirring until mix has thickened (about 1 minute). Remove from heat. Add nutritional yeast and salt and pepper. Let mixture cool for 5–10 mins.
Stir in egg until well-combined. Add in chopped cauliflower and coat with mixture. Coat 4 small ramekins or a large, ovenproof baking dish with non-stick spray or coconut oil. Divide mixture between ramekins or add to baking dish. Cook for 30 minutes. Increase oven to broil and cook for 2 minutes more. Remove from oven and serve.
Per serving: Calories: 131; Total Fat: 4g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Monounsaturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 47mg; Sodium: 129mg; Carbohydrate: 16g; Dietary Fiber: 5g; Sugar: 3g; Protein: 11g
Latest posts by Cindy Stevens (see all)
- Motivation through Willpower - May 26, 2023
- Benefits of Working Out - May 19, 2023
- Helpful Cleaning Hacks - May 12, 2023
- The Mind Diet - May 5, 2023
- Bulk Buying and Eating - April 28, 2023